Diecast Ramblings Member Forums
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Scale Model Forum (1:12 1:18 1:24 1:43 etc.)
 Breaking News: All-New '65 Thunderbird from DM
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  09:34:34 AM  Show Profile
This just in from a reputable source, DM is introducing the first of the "flair birds." We've seen all of the "baby birds" (55-57), all of the "square birds" (58-60), most of the "bullet birds" (61-63), and now here comes the first precision model of one of the "flair birds," the 1965 Ford Thunderbird.

I, for one, am overjoyed. No official word on color or body style yet, but rumor has it that it will be a light blue convertible. I'll keep you posted as more information becomes available.

Peter

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  09:50:45 AM  Show Profile
Here's a Brittany Blue one I found as a reference shot...

Go to Top of Page

BobAlescio

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Here I was nodding off when someone said '65 Thunderbird. It's got my attention. Wait until Alfred B. gets word.
Go to Top of Page

Ron Z.

Canada

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  09:57:46 AM  Show Profile
If true, I know there will be some real happy people!!!!
Go to Top of Page

LouBeau

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  10:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Now this means I'll have 2 '65 T-Birds - this one when it comes out and the anniversary one in 2015. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Peter

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile
That's right, Lou, but DM always offers up a different flavor for the LE series--maybe it will be a coupe or landau.

Actually, they've only announced the 50th anniversary LE series through 1962 (2012) thus far, but with this new flair bird tool they're certain to extend it through to 1966. That's good news for Alfred, who is still patiently waiting for his 1963 Thunderbird coupe in burgundy. I hope he gets it sooner rather than later.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  12:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I hope this is true! Been waiting a long time for this car to come to 1:24. Should be another winner from DM.
Go to Top of Page

R.D. Pratt

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile
In accordance with what the poster on D4C posted, the color is most likely Arcadian Blue, possibly Medium Blue Poly for the interior. I'm wondering about the color of the top, a dark blue to contrast the almost powder blue might look good,or black. Don't think white would look good, would tend to give the model an overall faded look.
Go to Top of Page

shinerunner88

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  2:34:45 PM  Show Profile
It's super news, finally these birds are going to be made by DM. I don't care about the color, we got our foot in the door so to speak. I would like to see the 64 offered too in an L code Samoan Coral sport type roadster, a black coupe, and anything else DM wants to surprise us with. This is great news and I heard it here first. Thanks for posting this, I'm ordering one as soon as I can.

When we build "em", we break records, not parts.
Go to Top of Page

MBWall

USA

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  10:17:15 PM  Show Profile

It's about time!

The Flair Birds are my favorite generation of Thunderbirds, and the 1965 is my favorite of the Flair Birds. Would have preferred that Danbury start with a '65 coupe, but hey, I'm NOT complaining.

I just hope they hire a new paint crew before they shoot mine.

Go to Top of Page

Jay

USA

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  12:43:21 AM  Show Profile
The top is blue... hope the car is Acadian Blue as Diamond Blue is too pale.... The car should be a stunner!
quote:
Originally posted by R.D. Pratt

In accordance with what the poster on D4C posted, the color is most likely Arcadian Blue, possibly Medium Blue Poly for the interior. I'm wondering about the color of the top, a dark blue to contrast the almost powder blue might look good,or black. Don't think white would look good, would tend to give the model an overall faded look.

Go to Top of Page

abaucom21

Canada

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:19:45 AM  Show Profile
I am both stunned and thrilled. I did not think DM would do this body style before the 1963. What a wonderful surprise and gives me more hope that DM will do the 1966. With this new tool and its variations we can hope for a total of ten body styles (1964 & 1965 conv., hardtop, Landau, plus 1966 conv., hardtop, Town hardtop, Town Landau). I am going to buy them all, and repaints as well.
Now if I can only get the 1963 conv., roadster, hardtop, and Landau.
Thank you DM! Did I say I am thrilled !!!
Go to Top of Page

Jay

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  01:38:28 AM  Show Profile
On one fo the other boards, someone posted a laundry list of "requirements" in regards to how this new Bird should be "equipped". EXCUUUUSE MEEEE???!!!
I, for one, am happy DM is doing this "FlairBird" in ANY shape. These are truly handsome cars and DM will do their usual admirable job on this car!
FYI....what you see is what you get at this stage. I have learned that when DM announces a new tool, and releases photos, the car is a done deal.... no changes occur other than tweaks in the QC issues, if any. Our fellow collectors need to understand that this is a BUSINESS for these folks and we are but a small (inordinately vocal, at times) segment of their bigger market picture. I am sure we will see several iterations of the '64, '65, and '66 TBirds before this tool goes out to pasture.... so calm down!

Edited by - Jay on 08/02/2009 8:13:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

shinerunner88

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  07:40:12 AM  Show Profile
This is very well put plain and simple Jay. I couldn't have said it more clear and better. I'm happy to see this style of T-bird made by DM and any if the 54 Caddy is as nice as it is, I would bet the farm that this one will be as great. In time I see a few more 64 thru 66 T-birds made. Maybe even a pro-mod version for us hot rodders. I'm ordering this Thunderbird right away. too.
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

On one fo the other boards, someone posted a laundry list of requirements in regards to how this new Bird should be "equipped".
FYI....what you see is what you get at this stage. I have learned that when DM announces a new tool, and releases photos, the car is a done deal.... no changes occur other than tweaks in the QC issues, if any. Our fellow collectors need to understand that this is a BUSINESS for these folks and we are but a small (inordinately vocal, at times) segment of their bigger market picture. I am sure we will see several iterations of the '64, '65, and '66 TBirds before this tool goes out to pasture.... so calm down!

Go to Top of Page

jms601

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  08:33:24 AM  Show Profile
I would like this one better if it comes in Arcadia and no Diamond Blue too. If the top is dark blue, it could be a real winner. But it might still be too pale for me. Need to see more pics or in person. And I agree with Jay and Keith. When they print a brochure, it is what it is, so get over it and recommend changes for the next edition.
Go to Top of Page

jms601

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:14:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm out. Listed as Diamond Blue on another website under pending issues. Reminds me of the WC Twilight Turquoise Impala Convert. Everyone loves that color except me.
Go to Top of Page

MBWall

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:54:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

On one fo the other boards, someone posted a laundry list of requirements in regards to how this new Bird should be "equipped".... I am sure we will see several iterations of the '64, '65, and '66 TBirds before this tool goes out to pasture.... so calm down!

LOL!

We can always count on Jay to explain it like no one else can.

Well put, Jay.

Note to Jay: You need to stay off those "other boards"... It's not good for your blood pressure.

Go to Top of Page

shinerunner88

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Something I noticed is the 65 is also the hardest of the AMT annual issue Thunderbird kits to find, it was changed from the 64 to the 65 then ended up as the 66. As many of the annuals were retooled off the previous years dies if they were close enough. I have a good friend I've known for 32 years. He collects Thunderbird promos and has very few 65's and only a couple 65 unbuilt kits. So this car will help fill in gaps in collections too. I feel strongly it was a very good choice to start with the 65 first. Then go to the 64 or 66 next. I really never knew a blue top was offered in 65 and the red lines too. I seen them on GTO's and gold lines on 65 Vettes. I have a set of the Kelsey Hayes wires from a 62 that I'm going to put on it when I get mine. Does anyone know if they're giving us a tonnue cover as well with it.

Go to Top of Page

R.D. Pratt

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  7:23:54 PM  Show Profile
You're not quite alone, John, have never been crazy about turquoise as a car color, and the lighter the turquoise, the less I like it. If there is a redeeming factor from the color as posted it would be a color new to my collection, not really anything that close.
quote:
Originally posted by jms601

I'm out. Listed as Diamond Blue on another website under pending issues. Reminds me of the WC Twilight Turquoise Impala Convert. Everyone loves that color except me.

Go to Top of Page

Jay

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  8:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Might suggest we all wit ti see the finished product before making any jusgements on color. Diamond Blue, as i remember it from college days back east , was a light blue color ... not turquoise... but i could be wrong.... that car is 44 years old!!!! Wait and see, I guess....

quote:
Originally posted by jms601

Go to Top of Page

MBWall

USA

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  9:44:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Diamond Blue, as i remember it from college days back east , was a light blue color ... not turquoise...
Exactly right, Diamond Blue is a lighter tint of Arcadian Blue. No "green" (needed to produce turquoise) in the paint.

Edited by - MBWall on 08/03/2009 10:12:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

jms601

USA

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile
You are right about reserving judgment. It's the paleness where I drew the similarity. Like a very icy almost blue white. But we'll see soon enough. If the blue top is dark blue, it could go very well together.
Go to Top of Page

jcox31mc

USA

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm very familiar with this color as I had a car painted accordingly and to me it is an awesome color. The icy-blue-white is a very good description. I personally don't like white cars but this is a completely different effect and is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Ramblings Member Forums © 2000-10 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000