Diecast Ramblings Member Forums
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Scale Model Forum (1:12 1:18 1:24 1:43 etc.)
 Goodbye Old Paint, Hello Repaint
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Remember that old song about a horse? Well, here's an old "pony" from DM that hasn't been touched for 14 years--since 1995. That's when they released the '66 Mustang in vintage burgundy with a black vinyl top, and while it was really nice for its day, it's a little underwhelming by current standards.

Nevertheless, I've been secretly hoping for a repaint of this cute little coupe for years, and I'm glad to see they upgraded the old decals to today's tech photo-etch badging and scripts. Just one problem--I wanted mine with a painted roof--not vinyl :-( Oh well, you can't please everyone, but I'm sure this repaint will delight many collectors...

Peter

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  5:38:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm guessing they had more light blue paint than they needed for the 65 Thunderbirds, so they made it a shade darker and voila! Diamond Blue becomes Arcadian Blue! Here's the rest of the brochure...

Go to Top of Page

Doug Ford

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  5:52:55 PM  Show Profile
The roofline looks off to me. I thought that of the burgundy one too. The backlight part of the roof should be more formal a shape, more square than angled as it is.
Go to Top of Page

Randy

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  6:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Peter, I'm uncertain if DM had leftover pale blue paint from the '65 Thunderbird, or if it is leftover light blue paint from the '55 Chevy coupe. LOL!

I would love to have an early-60s Mustang coupe in my collection to go along with the convertible, but I abhor baby blue. What a shame they didn't go with Springtime Yellow or Tahoe Turquoise Metallic. Antique Bronze would also be stunning. And no vinyl roof.

Edited by - Randy on 11/07/2009 7:19:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  6:29:01 PM  Show Profile
I must say that it looks better than the original, I never thought that the Burgundy was right for this car.
Go to Top of Page

LouBeau

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  6:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, okay, another Mustang. Gee. How exciting. Ho Hum. Maybe we'll get a few more Corvettes before the years out too. Come on DM it's the 50th anniversary of 1959. What's the hold up?!!!! JMHO
Go to Top of Page

Randy

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Doug, it's not just the roofline that looks off to me. The entire model looks misshapen. This does not look like a "museum quality" model to me, and certainly not worth my $138. I have a Franklin Mint 1965 Mustang CV in Caspian Blue Metallic that looks better proportioned than this.
Go to Top of Page

Jay

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  7:29:00 PM  Show Profile
This is a very old tool. Mustang was the FIRST "modern" vehicle DM popped out (after the now hideous 1/24 scale '57 Bel Air Convertible) and the proportions were definitely off. First was the white convertible, then this coupe in Heritage burgundy (big seller in 1:1 at the time!).
DM redeemed themselves mightily when they issued the 1/12 versions of these cars which, fortunately, I currently own. Now that's something I'd like to see: a couple of the M/M 1/12 scale beauties rereleased in new colors and trims.... perhaps a '66 Mustang GT Convertible,
the 56-57 Corvettes, and the Bel Air Convertible as a hardtop in a solid color or perhaps Dusk Pearl with an Ermine White top! Just an idea!
Go to Top of Page

Randy

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  7:55:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Now that's something I'd like to see: a couple of the M/M 1/12 scale beauties rereleased in new colors and trims.... perhaps a '66 Mustang GT Convertible,

Now, I agree with you 100% on that one!!
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  9:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Personally I see the curved crown of the roof from front to rear as being the reason for the odd proportions in photographs. It should have been a little straighter I think. Looks like the rear pillar shape is pretty good, so it's that rooftop. Not much off, but enough that we notice. This was the same on the burgandy one.

Brian Dunning and I had a conversation one time about how the necessary thickness of diecast metal sometimes won't allow perfect reproduction of a 1:1 sheetmetal. If you ask me, I think that may have been the case on this model. Looking at the images straight on from front and rear, the roof looks thick.

However, everything else looks darn good. It does appear to be a straight repaint, so since I've got the burgandy, I doubt I'll order this one. Those who didn't get one, I'll tell you the roof issue isn't so noticeable in person. You may really like this blue one when you get it.

The FM tool looks better on proportions, but it isn't a '66.
Go to Top of Page

Randy

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  10:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Bill, it is the curved crown of the roof that is the most inaccurate. The back of the roof looks higher than the front. There is also something about the front wheel/wheel well that looks a bit off. I don't know, maybe it's the crappy DM photos that make it look toy-like to me.

Go to Top of Page

gimpadvo1

USA

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  11:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Well intended, poorly executed. There's old school, and there's old tool. The latter--not as cool. I will, however, blow a kiss toward my '65 Mustang GT fsbk. when I go to sleep tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Jay

USA

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:48:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gimpadvo1

Well intended, poorly executed. There's old school, and there's old tool. The latter--not as cool. I will, however, blow a kiss toward my '65 Mustang GT fsbk. when I go to sleep tonight.

That's grea, John! I echo your sentiments! The roof on ths model is a plastic one piec part and it is incorrectlt shaped. Also the tail onthis early tool Mustanfg is a hair too long so the entire proportion of the car is completely thrown off...
Go to Top of Page

Randy

USA

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gimpadvo1

I will, however, blow a kiss toward my '65 Mustang GT fsbk. when I go to sleep tonight.

Had to go look for photos of this one. Very nice. Put it on my want list. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  10:54:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Yes, Bill, it is the curved crown of the roof that is the most inaccurate. The back of the roof looks higher than the front. There is also something about the front wheel/wheel well that looks a bit off. I don't know, maybe it's the crappy DM photos that make it look toy-like to me.

Now that I see them side-by-side, it does look like the rocker molding should be tucked under a little more. Maybe the tire could be a little more forward in the well, too...I think the rocker is more noticeable.

Thanks for the pic, I'm liking that color and I usually don't go for the browns.

Edited by - Skylark on 11/08/2009 11:08:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Randy

USA

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Bill, that color is emberglo.
Go to Top of Page

BobAlescio

USA

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile
I, too, would like to have a ’65 Mustang in a color of my choosing, complete with reworked body, trim, and internally hinged doors. I am inclined to think this particular diecast is not meant for us. Sometimes we have to just grit our teeth, turn the other way, and remember that sales of these may bring us a newer offering.

Sometimes I imagine there are numerous collectors that just have to have one of everything. I don’t envy those types; theirs is a serious sickness. They will buy this baby blue Mustang and feel better for it – for the moment – until the next repaint is announced. Let’s not be like that.
Go to Top of Page

Peter

USA

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  3:15:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm inclined to agree with Bob, and just hope that sales of this model bring some much-needed money into DM's coffers so that we can get the stuff we really want. We must realize that the audience for a model like this Mustang (as with Corvette models) is much larger than just the hardcore collectors like us, and their standards for detail and accuracy are often somewhat less than ours. Even if we turn up our noses at an old tool, a repaint like this may still be a smart decision for the mint in terms of generating additional revenue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Ramblings Member Forums © 2000-10 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000